Sunday, December 12, 2004

How important is spelling?

See if you can read this.

‘ I cdnoult blveiee taht I cluod aulacity uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg .The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aodccrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dnsoe’t rllaey mttaer in waht orerd the ltteers in a wrod are squeneced, the olny iprmoatnt tigng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer to be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the hmuan muid deos not raed ervey lteter , but the wrod as a wlohe. Azmanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thghuoht slpeling was ipmorantt!’

It sure points out the amazing ability of the human mind to make sense of what ever it experiences. And it really confused the linear thinking of my spell checker which obviously isn’t as creative; it kept correcting words!. It also took me ages to type because my brain wanted to type it correctly as well, which illustrates how hard it is to change your mind!

No comments: